Saturday, 13 August 2011




Hi Dancers,

I hope that you are getting ready to start the Dance year with energy and a new found enthusiasm! I certainly have.

I had a wonderful experience this summer, teaching a 4 week Ballet Intensive to young dancers ages 12 to16 and I wanted to share how much you, Body Ballet Dancers, have inspired me to be the best I can be.

Week 1: We started every morning with Body Ballet and continued throughout the day with Ballet, Pointe Work, Partnering, Modern and Repertoire. I don’t need to say that the girls and boys were intensely tired at the end of the day and during the first week, could not imagine that they would survive.
  • Anna’s saying of the week 1: YOU ARE STRONG!
Week 2: They started to feel better and were amazed that the 100 degree weather did not affect them. We had Michael’s running song “I’m so excited” going in the morning and at the end of the day! They asked for it!!!! We learned about mental conditioning.
  • Anna’s saying of the week 2: NEVER GIVE UP!
Week 3: The most difficult time in an Intensive. All that is learned is taken to the next level. All the work in conditioning that seems achieved is taken to the next progression. We then put it all together: Strong Mind/ Strong Body. Wow!
  • Anna’s saying of the week 3: NO EXCUSES!
Week 4: The culmination of all the work and then some. They performed 3 shows on the same day and one show in a hospital for rehabilitation. The repertoire that was danced was a piece from Napoli and a piece from Coppélia. They all did very well and none of the young dancers were either out of breath or suffered a lack of mental toughness. Although they were nervous, they shined through with confidence and beauty. I am so proud of them.
  • Anna’s saying of the week 4: BE PROUD OF YOUR HARD WORK AND ENJOY THE RESULTS! DANCE-DANCE-DANCE
On the last day, they took home the BB music that was our companion for the whole month. I watched them walk away with their parents, hugging their new friends, CD in hand, a real bounce in their step and a huge smile on their face; I saw bodies lean and flexible, posture long and proud but most of all standing tall on two feet… a real sense of self.

I look forward to starting our training again and guiding you to the best and happiest YOU!

See you in class, keep dancing

Love,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment