Friday, 20 May 2011

Nutrition: Back to Basics

Hi Dancers – in Body Ballet we don’t use a lot of fancy equipment – just simple belts and weights, nothing that is digital or even needs to be plugged in (except the music).
We use the most basic of all equipment – our own bodies. And of course I want you to all take care of your bodies – not only are they beautiful but they are your equipment for your physical, mental and emotional life.

Back to basics is how I feel about food, nutrition, dieting, and dining.  Many of you who grew up outside the US know what I am talking about.  I want to share this article from the Wall Street Journal with you because it speaks to my philosophy on exercise and on food. The last sentence of this article is the most important. “Try to buy foods as close to their natural state as possible,” says Ms. Taub-Dix.  [Bonnie Taub-Dix is a nutritionist and spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, a nonprofit professional organization].

Now that it is spring, it’s easier to buy and prepare fresh fruits and vegetables.  Asparagus is now in season  and is delicious, with vitamins A, C, E, K (for healthy bones) and several B vitamins (for energy to dance!)  One of my favorite Belgian recipes is Asperges à la Flamande.  Cook some asparagus.  Crumble hard-boiled eggs over them.  When you are ready to serve, pour a little melted butter and chopped parsley over them.  Voilà – delicious, healthy and very simple.  Please send me some of your favorite recipes and I will post them for everyone to share.

Merci
love Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment